Köhnə versiya

Latest news

Son buraxılış
Arxiv

24 Organizations Urge UN Chief to Blacklist Saudi Coalition

UNITED NATIONS - Two dozen human rights and humanitarian organizations urged Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday to reconsider his decision to take the Saudi-led coalition backing Yemen's government off a global blacklist of parties whose actions have killed or injured children in conflict.

The 24 non-governmental organizations also urged the U.N. chief to reconsider taking Myanmar's armed forces, the Tatmadaw, off the blacklist for recruiting and using children in conflict. It remains on the list for killing and maiming youngsters and for acts of sexual violence.

In a letter to the secretary-general released Monday, the organizations said they were "deeply disappointed and troubled" by the de-listings and "dismayed" at the disparities between information in his annual report on children in armed conflict released a week ago and his decisions on the blacklist.

"The report found the Saudi-led coalition was responsible for killing or maiming 222 children in Yemen in 2019," the letter said. "Yet the coalition was de-listed from the report's annexes, citing a `sustained significant decrease' in casualties during the year and progress in implementing a memorandum of understanding that was signed in March of last year."

Aliqismet BADALOV,
“Khalq qazeti”

24 2020 11:46 -

Köhnə versiyamızdan xəbərləri izlə