Köhnə versiya

Latest news

Son buraxılış
Arxiv

Rwandan Genocide Suspects Arrest in France Raises Questions

PARIS - Human rights and survivor groups are cheering Saturday's arrest in France of a top Rwandan genocide suspect, Felicien Kabuga. But questions are mounting about how he managed to evade justice for so long — and the fate of other suspects and accomplices in the 1994 killings.

Neighbors in the Paris suburb where Kabuga lived say they knew little about the frail 84-year-old.  But for many people, Kabuga is infamous. One of Rwanda's richest businessmen before the 1994 genocide, he faces multiple charges from a U.N. tribunal for allegedly funding and backing perpetrators of the mass slaughter.

Authorities say he also bankrolled and presided over the incendiary Radio Milles Collines that egged them on. Etienne Nsanzimana, president of genocide survivors' group Ibuka France, says he is shocked by the arrest. All the more so, Nsanzimana said, because Kabuga lived not so far away from him and his children. He also questioned how Kabuga—on the run for years across Europe and Africa—was suddenly caught now.

A similar reaction came from Alain Gauthier, who heads another victims' association. Gauthier pointed to a lot of unknowns, including how long Kabuga has been living in France — and how, despite having various passports and aliases, he managed to avoid arrest for so long.

Aliqismet BADALOV,
“Khalq qazeti”

19 2020 12:32 -

Köhnə versiyamızdan xəbərləri izlə